Tuesday, September 11th


Tuesday, September 11th
Day 18 

After a lengthy discussion I decided to go fishing.  Went out about 22 miles from Homer in Kachemak Bay which is part of the Cook Inlet.  Was a little cold and windy so I had to wear jeans again.  Caught my limit of halibut in about 20 minutes.  Kept fishing and caught some more but I had to throw them back.  After a while the last fish felt like it weighed about 400 lbs. That's when I had enough! Before we left Homer, we ate some delicious soup from Two Sister’s Bakery. Then we headed to Seward.  Weather was wet, cold, and windy.  Afraid our luck has finally run out weather wise. It is supposed to be this way for a few days.  Although it was raining a lot of the way, we saw some beautiful sights. We traveled along the Seward and Sterling highways through Kenai National Wildlife Refuge with beautiful views of the Kenai River again. The Kenai Lake can be seen from both highways, it is 24 miles long and also very beautiful.  Found a city run RV park on the beach in Seward. Hopefully to bed early. No internet so will have to wait to post. 

TODAY’S MILES   204             TOTAL  5467


Malcolm in Kachemak Bay halibut fishing


Malcolm had a good day--except he had to wear pants again!

Tundra swans along the Homer spit

Leaving Homer--rainy day!

Give Moose a Brake!

Sterling Highway--Kenai River again--beautiful color!

Lovely fall colors on the Sterling Highway

 Kenai Lake 24 miles long

Getting close to Seward  
 Our view from our RV at the Seward RV park


ANDY’S REPORT.
 Not too cold last night.  The peeps got me up again.  Ate a little breakfast and off we went. We had to stop at some store so the peeps could get their mermaid lady drink.  Went down to some little place surrounded by water and the next thing I know dad is out the door and gone. Mom then drove off. I was concerned for a while that mom was angry with dad and dumping him.  Mom and I drove around shopped, ate, did the laundry.  She then drove back to the water place and parked. Lo and behold and to my great joy Dad came back.  I guess she did not dump him.  Dad had a big bag of fish smelling stuff and smelled like a fish.  I wanted to take a couple of bites, but figured he might get mad.  We then drove again for quite a while, stopped at some place on the rocks with some more moving houses.  Ate some,  took a walk.  Getting a little tired, think I will go to bed. Goodnight.
Breakfast in bed again!

Smells fishy to me!

 I'm done, it's raining, I'm out of here!

5 comments:

  1. So ... what did you do with the fish??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cleaned them up some more cut them up to manageable packs and took them all home with me, I gave about 5 packs to my daughter in Seattle on the way home, she loves fish. We took the rest back to Houston. The freezer was full of fish and worked great. I have one pack left.. told my wife I was going to eat it, but she would not let me, she's in Seattle now,,, grandson#2 arrived last Tuesday. BTW,, halibut sells for about 25.00 a pound down here in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that halibut is expensive ... but holy cow!!! $25 a pound!!!

      Delete
    2. Karsten, have you taken that road trip to Alaska yet? Just curious when you went and how you made out.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new grandchild that must be going on about 4 years old now! Nice fishing too. Guess Andy is like me and likes to sleep.

    ReplyDelete