Friday, September 7th


Friday, September 7, 2012
Day 14

We slept in this morning.  Stayed up till 12ish working on the blog, email, and odds and ends.  Went to Meyer’s again to get some coffee and then topped off the propane tank.  Headed South for Denali. We tried to wish the good weather, which was to our west, to come our way.  The drive down was beautiful.  Much better than yesterday’s. Reading the milepost book, had to go backwards, but finally figured out the right direction for any stops.  Got to the entrance drove in and went to the registration desk. Got our campground pass and purchased two tickets for a tour tomorrow.  We then drove down to Savage River which is approximately 15 miles into the park. Furthest you can drive into Denali in a car, everything else is by tour bus. The drive was spectacular, weather cooperated and we got some great pictures. Did not see any animals. Upon the return from Savage River we got into a small snow squall and then sleet. At that time the temp was 37.  At our campground it was 54.There are lots of people here, most of them with Alaska tags. I can’t imagine coming during the summer when the place would be packed. At the campground we are at, you can walk to the showers and store. The other campgrounds do not have any services.  I decided we should stay inside Denali National Park instead of an outside park so we would not have to travel back and forth out of the park.  Our plan tomorrow is to get up go to the bus stop and catch the bus.  We will have to leave Andy in the RV all day, but we think and hope he will be fine. Tonight we dry camped, no hook ups.  Powered up the generator made meatball sandwiches. Generator is still running so we worked on our computers and let some other devices recharge. We are being real conservative with our water and battery power. In the morning we can run the generator and recharge everything back up. Going to bed early tonight.
Denali National Park

Denali National Park

Snow Squall in Denali National Park

Sleet in Denali National Park

Snow in Denali National Park

View from Riley Creek Campground in Denali National Park

Savage River in Denali National Park

Denali National Park

Denali National Park

Beautiful fall colors in Denali National Park

MILES TODAY  162     TOTAL MILES  4745

ANDYS REPORT.
 Had a great sleep last night.  I curled up on mom and kept her warm. Dad got up around 4ish and turned on the heater.  We piddled around, went to the store. The peeps came out with cups from the mermaid lady. They were very happy.  Continued the same routine, drove, stopped, looked, drove some more, and did it again.  We got to some big park with lots of moving houses.  We then drove down a road, somewhat bumpy, to a moving water place.  Dad let me out to check out new smells.  No grass, phooey! A couple of my cousins barked at me so I said hello to them. We then drove to a place with lots of moving houses parked in the woods.  Ate some dinner, mom gave me ½ a meatball, hmm good! I’m tired, so I think I will go to bed. Goodnight.
Another stop with no grass, what gives with this state?

Checking out some of my cousins.

Pulling guard duty again.

Me and dad at Savage River, Denali

Dad and me checking out the view at Savage River.

5 comments:

  1. Some nice fall colours but the winter seems to be knocking on the door. I am planning on a much longer trip ... I want to go up as far north as the weather and roads will permit so I will have to leave earlier than you did. I'm thinking June'ish or so right through to September and them heading home around this same time as you.

    Are there many places to boondock along the way?? I'm not much of a campground kind of guy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are tons of places to stay,, as I mentioned in the blog buy a copy of the milepost,,, I bought one a year or two old from Amazon cheaper,,, it has all kinds of places to camp. we dried camp about 5/6 nights,,, it's ok, but the wife like a good shower and she also has to use a c-pac machine (breathing),,, BTW, we sold our RT and purchase a Phoenix Cruiser a little bigger you can see it on my other blogs if interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a CPAP as well, but I have a 12V adapter and run it off my battery at night. I'll definitely get the Milepost. Sounds like an invaluable travel aid.

      I'll check out the Phoenix Cruiser. I know that the smaller Class B's can be a little tight for two ... + Andy of course. It looks like he enjoys his creature comforts. :)

      Delete
  3. Seems like a great trip so far! We just ordered our Milepost yesterday so it should be here any day now. Hoping to do a road trip to Alaska in 2018 and starting to research it to learn as much as we can. Thanks for the great blog and sharing your info and trip.

    Mike L. Northeastern PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Andy i shaving the time of his life!

    ReplyDelete